Friday, January 16, 2009

Random Acts of Kindness Day!!!

Let love of the brethren continue. Do not neglect to show
hospitality to strangers, for by this some have
entertained angels without knowing it.
Hebrews 13:1-2


This is now officially our second full week of being mindful of our kindness and service to others. It is actually becoming easier and easier to spot, or even think, of ways we as a family can purposefully show kindness to our fellow man.


Not only was this an incredible week with our first Meals On Wheels day, but my kids are quickly catching the giving bug and wanting to do more and more.


Monday the boys and I had to go over to Shriner's Hospital in Tampa where Ethan always gets his leg brace fitted and made. Ever since we began the semi-annual trip over there (whether it be for check-ups, botox injections, brace fittings, etc.) I've always made it a big deal with a stop to the icecream parlor on our way out of town. Ethan always looks forward to it. Well this past Monday we got out of the hospital and were searching for a new parlor to go to this time. Along the path of our journey we came across a homeless man on the side of the road with a sign that read "Hungry". Ethan of course immediately wanted me to stop, pull over and help the man out. I had no food on me, nor any money, so we kept going.


Tuesday we decided that we were going to use some of the money we have been collecting in our "People with Needs" container and buy some hamburgers from McDonalds for the homeless. We were all soooo excited. The boys took $11.00 out, headed to McDonalds and ordered 10 McDoubles. We prayed over the hamburgers that the lives we touched that day would be blessed immensely, that while their earthly possessions may be few, that they would one day come home to the house that God had prepared for them in eternity.


With high hopes and good intentions we set off to search for someone to give our burgers to.


We headed downtown and found two people near a spot on the sidewalk that was NOT the best place for stopping my car. So I made a loop around the building and was thinking "OK Lord, we're here doing this, you need to find a way for me to make this happen" Sure enough the moment I pulled along side of them the light in front of me turned red...perfect! We rolled our window down and told them we had a few extra burgers and was wondering if they would be interested in them. There was a construction worker talking with them and he came to the window to get them from me. He smiled deeply and paused before looking me square in the eyes to emphasize his point...he just said "Thank you for doing THIS". It was nice, it felt GREAT. We hollered out the window "GOD BLESS!!" and went our way.


We headed over to the Arena area and hit the jackpot. Apparently the Salvation Army has a house over there and there were a ton of men laying out near the pond and many sitting near the house playing board games and chatting. We drove by the lake, got out of our car and started to give out the remaining burgers we had. The boys were so excited, quickly telling the men God Bless You whenever they had their chance. The men were all so grateful and gracious.


We got back in the car and Ashton said "Mom...this was OUR lucky day!" Not the men's lucky day, but OURs...and he was so right. We left there feeling so thankful for our blessings and on such a HIGH from serving our fellow man. We all wanted to go get more food and do it all over again...it was AWESOME!


So...have you had the opportunity this week to do something out of the norm? I thought I would share some ideas that I've had:
1. Smile Cards!
Starting in September of 2003, smile cards began appearing all around the world. They are markers of a newfangled game of tag, where "you're it" because someone has done something nice for you. Then it's your turn to do something nice for someone else and, in the process, pass the card along. This is a game of pay-it-forward: anonymously make someone smile, leave behind a card asking them to keep the ripple going. It's easy and fun. Is kindness truly contagious? There's only one way to find out ...
Join in the fun! You can print out smile cards or you can actually order them for free from www.helpothers.org I ordered mine and should have them shortly...can't wait for the smiling to commence!
2. When making a pan of lasagna, or anything for that matter, make 2. Then either bring one over to a neighbor or call up a friend that you think would be blessed by it and bring it over. (Hey...I could always use THAT blessing!) :)
3. When at the dollar store, they have GREAT inspirational books and CDs...pick a few up. Wrap them and then anonymously leave one at someones door. What a sweet and unexpected surprise someone's going to get.
4. If you don't have epass and go thru the tolls to pay an actual person, every once in a while, pay for the person behind you. Just do it...I dare you!
Do you have any ideas that could inspire others??? Share them with me...I'd love to hear about them!

4 comments:

really.truly said...

Once again, you made me all teary. I've been thinking about how cold it is here on the East coast and worried about the homeless....and praying about who/what we can do to help. I'll keep you posted. I think you are awesome for inspiring people to "pay it forward"! You go girl!!

Stef Layton said...

we send some $10-$25 gift cards out throughout the year to friends and don't leave names or anything on the envelopes.

food is my favorite, so I always make something to bring over to people. We're getting to know our neighbors better by always having a dessert in hand - they love it, and hopefully see the joy we have in giving!

doing fun stuff like this always makes US feel better than it does the people we're trying to make smile!

Anonymous said...

This week Rori was learning the Bible verse that says, "love your neighbor as yourself" so I took that as a great opportunity to show her how this works. We spent time in school making brownies & before we put them in the oven we prayed over them. After they baked & cooled we took them to our neighbors & told them that we were learning to love our neighbors as much as ourself, which means we don't always have to be the ones to eat the brownies. Rori was so excited about doing this & it felt SO good to do something they were not expecting! God is so good & can teach us through anything, I love it!

Missys4 said...

Wow Tiff - you and your boys are truly an inspiration for all of us. Like your friend Mimi is so cold here in Columbus - with the wind chill it has been -25 - I too have been worried about the homeless - not just the people but all of the homeless animals. I love all of your ideas and the smile cards are such a neat thing. Thank you again for showing me how to be a better person. XOXOXOXO