Wednesday, January 28, 2009

3..2..1...BLAST OFF!!!

Yesterday we had a scheduled field trip through Circle Christian School to the Kennedy Space Center!

The trip started out a little rough however....my iPhone mapping program had me trekking all over creation for what should have been a very straight shot down the 528. I ended up getting very lost, very frustrated and very late. To top it off, I basically coasted into the NASA parking lot with ZILCHO gas...the route in which I took had me going about 15 miles without a gasoline station in site...I was late and decided to not backtrack to look for gas and lose the precious few gallons of gas I had remaining.

We finally made it there in one piece and joined the group. Two of the dearest people in my life, Edie and Cee Cee, were also there with their kiddos. We were allowed to see the park at our own pace so the three of us gals, and kids, stayed together and had an absolute ball!


I have lived here my entire life, yet I had never been to the Space Center. I remember vividly as a young girl going with my Girl Scout Troop to a nighttime launch and being totally amazed that a once pitch black sky brightens like the afternoon upon lift-off...amazing.
We got to see the insides of the aircrafts...where they sleep, eat, shower, etc...but the enormity of the engines really surprised me. When they load up the spaceship it takes them 1 mile per hour to get over to the launching pad...approximately 8 miles away, therefore, 8 hours!!!


We loaded up on the tour buses and went to various locations to learn more about the Apollo missions, the International Space Station, various launching pads they have there. Did you know that they own 147,000 acres here in our backyard??? I never realized they own quite so much land!

At the end of the day we got to see an IMAX 3D movie about various missions to the moon. The kids all thoroughly enjoyed it and tried to grab at various objects flying towards them!
Prior to going today Ethan decided that he wanted to be a "Space Man" one day...that THAT was his calling (LOL). Until he learned about the fatal missions of the Columbia and the Challenger and he decided that he would leave the Space stuff up to someone else!
Here is Ashton and his bud Grant Thibodeaux aboard one of the flight capsules near the rocket park!

Ethan made quick and fast friends with Cee Cee...those two were connected to the hip for the majority of the day!
Here is Cee Cee and her daughter Anna...Anna wanted her Mom to lift her high!! Too cute!
We ended up closing down the park without even seeing everything there is to offer! As we were leaving I told the front desk of my gas plight and they were gracious to offer me a gallon of gas on the house! God Bless them!!!
Overall it was a fantastic day...all of the kids were so well behaved and everyone of us learned something new!

5 comments:

The Wagner Family said...

I'm so jealous you got to spend practically a whole day with Cece!

really.truly said...

Awww, that is so cool! I loved all the pictures. Oh man, to be outside without coats, boots, hat etc....can't remember what it feels like-LOL.

Rachél said...

It looks like you all had a blast! I love going to the Space Center. I was such a science geek when I was a kid.

Missys4 said...

Looks like you guys had a ball. My kids would love to go there someday. And like your friend Mimi said - to be outside without coats - I am sooo jealous. We have been hit hard - school has been out the last 2 days.

Anonymous said...

Closing down the park!?! WOW! FYI: I am having a "giveaway" on my blog so come check it out.