I just got off the phone with the coordinator with Seniors First for the Meals on Wheels program. She arranged for me to do a drive along with one of the employees to see what a typical route entails. This will allow me to get a better idea if I think this will be a good fit for the boys and I to do on a regular basis.
I did find out that they like their volunteers to pick up the food no later than 10:00am, which is a bit of a snaffoouie (sp?) for me. Creature of habit that I am I like to start school first thing in the morning and get it done before lunchtime so that we are all our most fresh and least crankiest (Mommy included). If we commit to a weekly route we will obviously have to adjust our schooling times on that day. The route only takes one hour to complete so that shouldn't throw too much of a monkey wrench into things!
I'm excited and nervous all at the same time. I pray that this is an opportunity not only to serve the needs of some special elderly people, but also to help install compassion, selflessness and servitude in the hearts of our children.
3 comments:
It will throw your morning for a loop once a week, but it will be so worth it!! We did it for almost 2 years (pre-Lucas) and the kids enjoyed each Monday morning delivering the meals - nothing like kids on the doorstep to make them smile!!
I hope it works out because it just seems like such a great fit for you 3 fun, friendly, talkative cutie pies. Whoever gets you will be very blessed!
Doing Meals on Wheels once a week would be such a great thing for you guys to do and definitely worth the hiccup in your day. I need to check it out for us - I would love for my kids to experience something like that.
Post a Comment