Today as we were driving home from Foundations, I heard sweet music coming from the backseat of my car. Rap? Country? Jazz? You ask? NO....it was the sweet sound of Ethan reading a book to his brother.
He was reading, REALLY REALLY GOOD, all on his own, with no prodding from me to pick up the book. I can't tell you what an answer to prayer that is. I'm constantly fretting over Ethan, which I know is really unwarranted because time and again he meets the challenges in front of him and typically exceeds all expectations. Perhaps this is a worry of every mom has over their first born (don't have anything to compare to or have gone thru it before)???
We read a lot here. I probably read at least 1 hour to them each day (on top of things we do during school) and he reads anywhere from 1-3 easy reader books to me per day. I think this consistency is soooo paying off. He is head and shoulders above where he was just at the end of the school year last year. I am so proud, and relieved, and proud :) of him!
The added benefit is that Ashton is now caught the reading bug and wanting to learn to read. I hear him sounding out letters as he tries to read things on his own. We starting Reading Made Easy this week with him. We are taking it slow and steady, but I have a feeling he's going to catch on pretty quick. It's great having a big brother to learn from! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment