Thursday, September 25, 2008

Ashton

I'm getting a bit frustrated lately with homeschooling Ashton. For the most part it has been fairly easy schooling Ethan. He got lots of fundamentals down in reading and math during Kindergarden so I've just been enhancing and improving on what he already knows. However with Ashton, it's a blank slate. He hasn't had ANY formal education and I'm starting to feel inadequate on trying to figure out ways to break thru with him.

Numbers for him are really hard for him to remember. I can't move forward with our curriculum because he can't remember what any number is past about 7. He'll get them right some times, but the majority of the time he is second guessing himself, guessing, and just hoping he says the right number out loud. I've counted beans with him, I've built towers out of manipulatives with him, I've used the 100 chart and placed coins on each number, I've played the matching game with him, I've done flash cards, it doesn't seem to be working. I'm thinking about looking into Abeka for him for math. It's the math that Ethan did at TFA and perhaps it will appeal to Ashton too???? I don't want to stick with Abeka more than kindergarden, but perhaps for a year it will work??? I don't know, I'm so confused.

And then there is reading...oi vey! There are moments that the light bulb comes one and he gets it, then 2 seconds later he's temporarily forgotten everything he's learned thus far.

Part of me is way stressed out over it and then the other side of me keeps telling myself that he wasn't even supposed to start Kindergarden yet so just take a chill pill. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Stef Layton said...

when I get like that - I step away. I mean for a day or two, don't even touch it inside of school - and do it outside I find when I make up silly rhymes or sing it, talking to myself, etc. think sesame street style when he's around he picks it up faster.

just a suggestion - but the most important thing is not to take it personally and get frustrated. I'm waiting til I teach algebra! yikees!