Monday, September 22, 2008

Golden Calves

Today for Bible/History we are continuing our study in the Old Testament. Today's lesson was on Moses and Aaron. While Moses was up on the mountain receiving the Ten Commandments, his brother Aaron, along with the other Isrealites, got tired of waiting and built a golden idol from all the gold they have. They formed it into a calf.

When Moses returned he as very angry. He crushed the idol into powder and made them drink it. Showing them how silly of them to think that such a thing could actually be God.

My curriculum (which I still LOVE) had us make our own peanutbutter dough that the boys then shaped into their own calves. They then ate it like the Isrealites had to do with their golden calf. Such a simple lesson, but these types of hands on activities the boys really love doing. It breaks up the school day, makes it fun, and really brings home the lesson...
Here is Ashton's calf. More like a splatted calf! :)
And Ethan...his is more like a Gator-calf! LOL

You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord you God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations, of those who love me and keep my commandments. Exodus 20: 3-6

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that story...I never get tired of hearing the whole thing!

What a cute idea for the kids. Oh my gosh, those "calves" are hilarious! Ethan's looks more like a dinosaur, to me.

Anonymous said...

Man, they got to eat their homework!? vEry cool! :))

Rebecca said...

What a great idea!!
I LOVE it!!
With our study of Egypt, all the kids were mummified last night with a roll of toilet paper. The simplest of hands-on learning often provides the biggest smiles :)

Anonymous said...

Are you sure I can't enroll in your class...it sounds like so much fun and I know my "darlings" love it. I'm sure I'll hear all about it...hmmm...at least from Ashton. Mom