Thursday, September 25, 2008

Like the pains of childbirth...

I am so lucky in that something that is so incredibly painful and exasperating at the moment can be a fleeting memory just a few hours later....kinda like childbirth! :)

After I wrote the last post, I loaded up the kids, and headed for some fried food. My brain needed it and fried food, unfortunately just does the trick! LOL We went to Wendy's and I got a chicken sandwich. Now with my endorphins flowing I was able to rethink the whole Ashton thing. I think for him, I'm going back to the basics. I remember trying to teach Ethan to read prior to kindergarden and I had these slide ruler type cards that I made up with word families on them. He loved them and it made learning to read the "at" words (cat, fat, sat, etc..) very easy for him. When I was trying to teach him his numbers I reinvented Candy Land and applied numbers to the squares instead of just colors. I was creative and out of the box thinking. This is what Ashton needs now too. Not just one particular curriculum or another.

So, I just got finished recreating all my slider cards for the word families ending with ad, an, at, ag, ap and am. He's also been taught the sight words a, the, has. I will include the color words (red, yellow, blue, green, black, brown, orange and purple) once he has all of these down and conquered I will move on to more, but for now, this is all we are going to focus on in regards to reading. This will supply him with a BUNCH of words that I can make up sentences about, etc... I think this will work much better than trying to get him to follow a certain curriculum.

During quiet time today I am going to modify our Candy Land game, as well as our Bingo game. We'll do number bingo (we have letter bingo when I was teaching Ethan his letters). Hopefully learning this way will be much more fun for Ashton AND Mom! :)

3 comments:

Stef Layton said...

hooray - see, isn't that more fun, tackling it from "scratch" - no curriculum, good ole fashioned momma genius working! ;p

Sometimes it just doesn't work out the way it's all scheduled to - and so great we've got some smarts to "think outside the box" as you put it! Great thinking - and it didn't even take 24 hours!

Anonymous said...

Well I guess I'm rolling up my sleeves for another maranthon of "Candy Land" but isn't that what Grandma's are for? Ashton is a very smart smart "cookie", no doubt in my mind that he will learning all that you want him to know in one day...but in his time frame. Love those guys. Grandmas

Anonymous said...

You are so dedicated :)) Keep it up Tiff.