Thursday, August 28, 2008

Renewed

Isn't it amazing what a day makes? Or in this matter...a 1/2 day. I wrote this morning's post about doubt and then proceeded to have an AMAZING day with the kids at school. There really wasn't anything too particularly different about the day, but it just felt REALLY good to be all cuddled up on my couch, doing "school", reading about Abraham and Isaac, teaching my boys about Abraham's obedience to God - even when it got hard.

After I got thru discussing the ways that the boys can be obedient to God, even when it got hard, I was struck with the message as it applies to my homeschooling life with the boys. I feel that the Lord has called me to do this. I can't let doubt or confusion allow me to stumble or stop obeying what I'm called to do. I just won't allow it.

Then we were able to get all of our work done, along with some extra phonic stuff that I wanted to do. We all meandered down to the kitchen to fix lunch. We were able to eat together on the back porch, enjoying the hum of the fan and each other's company. We then went on a few errands that I needed to do, while I questioned the boys on their retention of Johnny Appleseed. I was planning on reading where we left off from a few days back and wanted to test their recollection...they did GREAT...

We got home, gathered upstairs on the couch once more, and continued to read about Johnny. I don't know about you, but all just feels right in the world when my kids are curled up next to me and we are sharing good literature together. All the while I'm thinking....man, if the kids were in traditional school right now we'd be missing out on all this great, quality time together!"

As Ethan said while we were driving home...."You know Mom, we get to be home with you, while most of the world is at school...we are blessed!"

Couldn't have said it better.

So, pooey on you, Mr. Doubt...you're not welcome here!

2 comments:

Betsy Nickel Photography said...

Mom's have it tough sometimes. Hang in there...you're doing great!
As far as the pudding paint. It does dry and still shows up. Some does dry clear, but you can see all of the design. You could also use a darker pudding color. They happen to like to EAT vanilla, so we went with that for the day. On colored paper though....it worked out! And then they enjoyed eating it for lunch afterward too! :O)

Anonymous said...

That's a great post Tiff. Even though we don't share the same religious background, I can appreciate your morals, values and respect for beliefs. I appreciate the fact that you can express your spiritual faith openly! Not like me...I'm way too timid.

You know, I've often second and thrice doubted this homeschooling idea for Porter.

And then I remember how PROMPTED I felt when the idea first came. While it's going to have it's frustrations and setbacks (initially...oh, like TODAY), I also have to remind myself that I did not come up with this idea. I truly felt like we were inspired to help Porter in this way.

And to doubt it, or do anyhting less than GREAT for him, would be almost a slap in the face to God. I don't know...that's just how I feel.