This morning was our first day homeschooling! IT WENT FABULOUS!!!
I wasn't actually planning on starting until 9am, but the boys were so excited and wanted to get started, that we actually got things underway by 7:45am! LOL Starting so early made our "official" day of school over by 9:30am...wow, I wish I could have been done so quick when I was in school (although now that I think about it...when I was in Kindergarden we DID get out within 3 hours...we had 1/2 day and I believe we also took a nap during that time!)
The curriculum I am using is really fun. Our bible verse for the week is Matthew 19:14 Let the little children come to me and do not forbid them for such is the kingdom of heaven. We have a music CD that goes along with it that really helps us learn the verse thru lyric and really cement it in our brains. We then learned about History, or "His Story", and how God started history and how His hand has been in it from the very beginning. We read a tale of REddy Fox and how he overcame fear. We danced around the room learning about our 7 continents and the animals that God made in each region, to the tune of Skip to My Lou. We built towers for our math assignment, glued shapes on some numbered paper and Ethan worked on his reading assignments.
This week is definitely going to be a week of discovery for me. Just from working with the kids today I can already see that the Math work is perfect for Ashton, but way too easy for Ethan. After our official school day was over, he wanted to do some additional mathwork, so I skipped ahead a couple of lessons and had him do that one...again, too easy. I was really hoping to combine them in math, but I don't want to stiffle Ethan's passion for math, nor frustrate Ashton with something too advanced, so I'm going to have to break up their math lessons individually. Also, Ethan flew thru three lessons in his reading book....this was already with me skipping ahead to lesson 12 to begin with. Again, I need to figure out where exactly they stack up in their abilities and then hone in on that.
This is what I LOVE about homeschooling...I am going to be able to meet my children where they are at academically and hopefully foster a passion for learning.
Anyways, overall, the first day went fantastic. Hope the rest of the year goes as smooth! :)
3 comments:
Congrats on a successful first day, Tiffanie! Sounds like you are having fun and learning a lot! Oh... and likewise for the kids! LOL
Sounds like you are off to a good start!!
see, not so much pressure! Great getting that "first" day down although you've been homeschooling for awhile - you just never realized it.
Post a Comment