Sometimes I feel like we are rolling along, everything is right in the world, the kids are acting like best buds, very kind and considerate of each other, and then other times I feel like I am the fight police constantly handing out discipline.
It is only 8 o'clock in the morning and I've already administered discipline to both my boys on seperate ocassions in the 45 minutes they've been awake! It's so aggrevating. I try to be consistent, I try to teach biblical principles, I definitely invest in their time...but sometimes it just seems to fall short.
It's funny how my children have evolved into the individuals they are today. Ethan, my once sweet natured, compassionate child...seems to be straying from that. While he is still most definitely my tenderhearted child when it comes to babies, animals, his own feelings, etc..I would not classify him as that towards his own brother. There are days when he does play well with Ashton, but he is usually the one that will tell his brother to stop following him, or he doesn't want to sit next to him at the table, or something else that is just mean and unnecessary.
Ashton, my bull in the china shop, is turning into the biggest blessing of the home. He gives out blessings very readily, always there to help me, or Daddy, or his brother. He's Ethan's biggest cheerleader. Wants to do whatever Ethan does, sit wherever Ethan sits, and just be around him. He's like a lost sheep when Ethan is spending the night elsewhere. However, he's also the one that loses his temper the quickest and sometimes uses his hand instead of his mouth to express his feelings. I am quick to discipline this behavior, follow it up with scripture. He knows what is expected from me, from God, but it still doesn't seem a lasting effect b/c the next time he gets upset the same pattern emerges.
I tell the boys, it's a vicious cycle, Ashton shoves his brother and in return Ethan doesn't want to be near him, or doesn't want to do something with him the next time, then Ashton gets his feelings hurt, and around and around we go.
Anyways, I know I'm not alone in this, but it's still aggrevating nonetheless. I want to do right by my children. I want to foster love, compassion, respect, honor in them.
2 comments:
Hmmm, I recall a beautiful older sister beating up her younger brother on the family room floor. I believe they're "best of friends" now. Life is full of many stages...maturity in each stage eventually comes. Thank you God that under it all, they love each other. It's foggy at times but it's there...we just have different ways of expressing it when we're young. Mom
Sounds just like my two biggest boys. Wonder what will happen in a year or 2 when Asher is older???? But we have the EXACT same issues. I feel your pain girl. Hang in there...there's a season for it all
Post a Comment