Thursday, July 17, 2008

Learning Styles of your children

Pretty much this entire summer I have been entrenched in any kind of literature, internet sources, magazines, flyers, etc. that has anything to do with Homeschooling. Several things that have been on my mind is to clearly define my Philosophy of Education (why is it that we are homeschooling? What do we hope to accomplish?) I plan on posting more about this once I've clearly defined what this is for us. But the other thing that I've really been trying, and having a hard time figuring out, is my children's learning styles and personality learning types.

Perhaps over time it will become more apparent exactly what these are, but for the life of me, I'm having a hard time really pin pointing it.

Ashton is my talker, he wants to discuss, and re-discuss, and share with others what we've discussed over and over, so I'm generally thinking he is an auditory learner. He will overhear me say something months prior, yet can recall an exact conversation verbatim. It always totally amazes me. Yet, I guess I could say the same about things that he SEES, which would put him in the visual learner category. Overall he's just a very bright kid, so I'm having a hard time categorizing him into one category.

Ethan on the other hand. Oi vey. I have no clue. He is not big on the talking type of lesson. He tunes out after so many minutes and will actually tell me that he doesn't know what I just said, it was too many words! But give the child a workbook and he'll sit for hours doing it. Just from this example alone, I'm thinking he is a visual learner.

I'm a visual learner. I remember in college I held stock in notecards. I was a science major, so you can imagine the definitions, formulas, etc. that I needed to remember. I would have scores and scores of notecards filled out to help me quiz myself. Once I actually rewrote it down on the notecard it was much easier for me to recall it. I could visually see it in my head.

I am so excited to have the opportunity to educate my children. Our children are our responsibility. I can't think of anyone better to get to spend THAT many hours out of the day that they would normally be with a complete stranger than MYSELF. How fortunate I am that I get to figure out their learning style. I get to be the one to help them crack the code to reading. I get to be the one that gets to lie under the stars at night as we are studying space and the constellations. I get to be the one (not their peer group) that helps shape their opinions of who they are, what they hope to become and what matters most in the world. I get to see my children develop a Godly worldview, free from peer pressure, violence in school, harrassment, and sexual pressure.

So, I guess as we move forward, we will figure out their learning styles...how they thrive the best, how we as parents can use these learning styles to pull the best out of our children. I'm so excited for the ride!

5 comments:

Lori said...

I think the hard part about teaching, not tha I would know, just noticing from my kids...is that all the kids learn in different ways. Some are visual and some can pick up what you say. Some like to discuss, some get bored with discussions. It would be a hard job.

Tiffanie Hage said...

exactly...imagine having 18 kids in a class with different learning styles...I'll have a much better ratio 2:1 :)

Anonymous said...

One of the greatest joys of having children is watching them grow and learn. Your boys are young and so it's easy to see why it's hard to define their learning styles yet. But watch and learn and in a few years you'll be able to rattle it off with no problem!

ie:

Hayden - reader, writer learner.
Porter - visual aid, hands on learner
Koben - audio, praise-motivation learner
Gage- ?!?! Still waiting to see!

Tiffanie Hage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Your blog...makes a mother proud. I love that you LOVE you children so much. Mom