Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy 4th of July!!!

Last night we had several friends and family over to our house for some festivities (including celebrating my 35th birthday!) On a side note...how in the world can I be 35? That was soooo old when I was younger, I mean, the next momumental birthday is my 40th...you know, the one that everyone gives you an over the hill party including geriatric supplies, wheelchairs and gag gifts! Man...I'm getting old. But, I digress....

Here is a picture of Ashton and Mason DowlingGrandma holding the "no no fireworks - only for adults to hold"
Ethan and Mason with their sparklers
Ashton with his sparklers
Ashton sitting on the lake shore watching the fireworks...we went across the street to our neighbors house who live on the lake. There were fireworks going off in every different direction. Ethan got a tad freaked out over the fireworks, so Grandma brought him back to our house.
Yesterday the boys and I painted American flags for decorations around the house. They were asking me what each thing represented on the flag, and other than the stars and the red stripe I was unable to accurately tell them what it meant. So for any one else out there that isn't quite sure...I looked it up. Here is what our flag represents:
The only specific reference to the three colors comes from a report by the Secretary of the Continental Congress, Charles Thomson. Mr. Thomson said: "White signifies purity and innocence; Red, hardiness and valour; and Blue, vigilance, perseverance and justice." Other American writers have suggested that red stands for blood shed fighting for our country, white symbolizes loyalty, and blue, the unity of our citizens bound together as one nation. The colors also echo the colors of the British flag, and the original drafts of the flag included the Union Jack in place of the section now containing the stars.
There were 13 stripes representing the first 13 colonies and 50 stars, representing our 50 states.
I knew the later part, but was unclear on the colors...and now I know! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Tiffanie!! :)

Stef Layton said...

Isn't this fun - we get a second education while educating our own! GREAT JOB MOM! How many people would just say, "because" or "I don't know" and leave it at that! No pics of flags - boo!