Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Ashton update

I mentioned a few posts back about my concern over Ashton and learning his numbers. We are far from perfection...BUT...the converted Candy Land game, Go Fish and memory matching game are all helping him TREMENDOUSLY learn and recall his numbers. A week ago we were only recognizing up to 10 (and even then it was hit or miss) but we are now officially up to 19 (12 seems to be a tricky one still...but he's getting there)!

I have to keep reminding myself that at his age, Ethan was still in PreK 4, and probably about the same level as Ashton is now.

Reading is going slow, but that is what I figured when we got started. He does several phonics pages each day, quite easily, it's the "reading part" that is going slow. When he focuses and keeps his eye on the word he gets it everytime. His "problem" is that he'll start to blend the word and at the last second he'll look at me and then the ending sound is whatever he makes up in his head, not what's on the paper. I keep telling him that he can't read something when you aren't looking at it. Once he actually focuses on the word, and keeps his eyes THERE the whole time, he reads it. Oh well...slow and steady! But it's nice to see that there is hope...Ethan was easily where he is last year. Now, he is reading SO well. He's not an independent reader quite yet, but he's quickly getting there. YEAH...THAT is an answer to prayer!

Anyways, just thought I would post an update! Off to start school now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Ashton! And Mom!

I just don't understand how professional teachers find their encouragement when trying to teach these concepts to 20 little kids? How do they know the kids are getting it? How do you see problems arise when you've got so many to tend to?