Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What's So Great About Christianity?

Tonight our church had Dinesh D'Souza, author of What's So Great About Christianity, come and speak on his book and this subject.



I sat there completely intrigued. For years I have been wanting some real "meat" that I could sink my teeth into in regards to defending my faith to unbelievers who don't see the Bible as a source of truth. How can I quote scripture or passages as the basis for my beliefs and arguments to someone who does not hold that as a standard?



Statistically of 100 "christian" kids who go off to college, 70% will walk away from their faith. That number is staggering! But I certainly believe it. I definitely denied God, turned away from my beliefs during college. Luckily, my mom succeeded in "training up a child..." because I returned to my faith, and with much more ferver. However, I look at my children and I think about the opposition that they will be facing. Our society, which once held the 10 commandments as basic tenants in which to live our lives, by believers and non-believers alike, is quickly becoming vehemently opposed to even breathing anything that might be found in the bible, or worse from the testimony of Jesus Christ.



How will I equip my children with knowledge beyond talking with like minded believers? How will they know that our God is real, that He IS the creator, that we didn't evolve from monkeys, so that when they go off into the real world and when get questioned on their faith, they will have real answers and confidence in which to speak it?



I'm super excited to read this book. I will most definitely give a book report on it when I'm done! If you read it yourself...let me know your thoughts!




No comments: