Both Preston and I were raised in a Christian household AND we participated in the age old tradition of Santa Claus coming on Christmas Eve to deliver presents under our tree. It never seemed the wrong thing to do, as long as the real meaning behind Christmas was always the birth of Jesus, not how many presents you got.
Even with the best of intentions, Santa, and the immediate benefits he brings to a young child, will always out weigh the importance of what happened 2008 years ago in a manger far away in Bethlehem. Sure, that's great an all, but give me presents...right?!?!
WRONG
Think about how much thought and process gets put into your child's 1st birthday party. It would NEVER be forgotten...quite the contrary...the cake is ordered way in advance, the guest list has been checked not once but twice, the perfect present has been purchased, the perfect outfit is put on, your home is tidied and cleaned like it's never been cleaned before (you get the point...) Yet on the day that our LORD AND SAVIOR is born, we spend more time trying to figure out ways to fool the kids into getting into bed so SANTA will come then we do celebrating HIS birthday!
How do you think that makes Him feel? Wow, what a slap in the face.
I've really struggled with this issue since last Christmas, but it was really becoming much more appearant on my heart as of late. I really wanted to try as much as possible to steer Christmas back to it's original meaning without being a complete stooge either. Well, today the boys made my internal battle obsolete.
We got on the topic of giving to those less fortunate than us since we are putting together some gift bags for the homeless and they wanted to know why they didn't just ask Santa for it. I looked at them like a deer in the headlights. I sat there with my mouth completely and utterly twisted. In my mind I'm saying one thing, my heart saying another and my mouth saying nothing. The boys were noticing my pause, and extremely weird look on my face, and then point blank came out and asked me if Santa was real.
Cough...cough...sputter...sputter. At this point I'm thinking "oh how I wish Preston were here with me because I would love his guidance at this very moment!" Would he be mad if I squashed their ideas of Santa, would he want me to say something different???? But knowing my husband, I know he'd want me to do what I felt was right, be truthful, and would be supportive all the way. So, I took this golden opportunity to just be, real.
I explained the story of St. Nicholas, who lived in the 3rd century, giving all of his inheritance to the needy and sick, especially kids. This was all they needed to hear. I was dumbstruck. Seriously. There were no tears, no nothing. They acted completely mature about the whole matter.
They had some questions though...like who gave them the broken air hockey table last year that "SANTA" left a note on saying it fell from the rooftop when one of the reindeer tooted causing Santa Claus to accidentally drop it! (I know, I know, lame story...but it's the only thing I could think of that would get some laughter from my kids when they realized their present was busted up...we waited until Christmas Eve to remove it from it's box only to find it broken). They laughed heartily when I told them it was us.
We talked about the significance of Christmas some more and I'm really excited and hopeful that we'll be able to start doing some more outreach things and less "me" things moving forward.
I'm not sorry that they experienced Santa...it was fun and childlike, but I'm really more excited about the new chapter of our lives and receiving the richness and fullness that comes with an intimate relationship with Christ, without Santa taking up the limelight!
3 comments:
good for you. I think they'll appreciate you more for your honesty than being deceitful just for the "fun" of the holiday that is celebrated in a consumer hungry materialistic bribing way!
We never put "from Santa" on any of Jake's presents because he couldn't read! And he always thanked us for it - we never talked about Santa coming down the chimney, the good boy list, or any of the lies parents have to create to generate the holiday season.
But we weren't fanatical - we did not avoid decorations, etc. And last year he asked the same question, but more like - "he's not real ... is he"? And we did the same thing, explaining St. Nicholas and giving to the poor and needy - not flying reindeer and a naughty or nice list. I can't stand to hear parents go on "well I guess Santa isn't coming then" or using that to bribe for good behavior.
And your analogy of a 1st b-day party is dead on! Good for you for taking that challenging step. Now watch out for friends who ask you not to "ruin it" for their kids!!
I think ruining it isn't talking about Jesus - parents neglecting to does!
How awesome that God set that moment up for you. He knew your heart and their's were ready for it. You handled it beautifully.
Good for you. But I also cherish the memories I have growing up and believing in Santa. It is magical and you can have fun with Santa and make sure your children know the true meaning of Christmas. Abby no longer believes in Santa but believe you me - I am going to make sure Zach, Ella and Ethan believe as long as possible and yes I do talk about Santa coming down the chimney, leaving treats for Santa and his reindeer and I call Santa's house regularly this time of year when my kids are not behaving. And I do not see wrong in that either. To each his own. I love this time of year even if I do tell some "lies". We also make sure to give to the less fortunate.
Post a Comment