Goodness gracious...my search for the PERFECT math curriculum is still in the works!
As you know, I ordered Singapore math with great anticipation over its reviews I read about. We received it over the weekend and we got started right away with it this morning.
I'm not sure about it. :(
While the mental math approach to it definitely intrigues me, makes the student really understand WHY and HOW you get to the solution, the part that I see it lacking is hardly ANY review and repetition. Saxon's draw back was the EXCESS of repetition and this has the lack of repetition. Good grief.
The lesson plans are very brief and each day's assignments are almost too short...is that possible? :)
So, I'm back to the drawing board, not really sure WHAT we are going to do next year. I guess for now I'm going to continue with Saxon, and use what I've purchased with Singapore as a supplement to the lesson we are learning in Saxon, in hopes to get the most out of each skill learned. Then, at the convention, I'll really scour the math curriculum tables and get my hands around what I want to do for next year.
4 comments:
Oh no, say it ain't so!! I was thinking we were going to switch to Sing. for next year. I liked what I saw. Math is the only subject that is frustrating me!
I'll sending you a math email shortly;)
We personally use Math-U-See. If you go to their website, they'll send you a free demo DVD that shows you how it works. As someone who stunk in math all through school, it was neat to see math make sense.
I was originally going to use Singapore math, but after checking out Math-U-See, I'm glad I changed my mind. It has a good balance of hands on, mental math and I appreciate their focus on mastery without the relentless drill. We're very happy with it.
Have you looked into RightStart Math? We looked into everything last year and I compared reviews and spent a lot of time talking to them at the conference and ended up with that program. We started it at the end of summer but had to stop because it was too much with him actually going to school too. We are going to start it again as soon as school is over because I think learning math that way has many advantages. Check it out
Oh no!!!! How frustrating. Good luck on your search...knowing you, I'm sure you'll keep looking until you find the perfect program for your boys!
Post a Comment