I've decided to change our math curriculum. Up until now we have been using Saxon math.
The only reason we started with Saxon originally was that International Community School uses it and at the time I purchased it we were planning on enrolling the boys there. Since I already invested in it, I figured I would give it a shot.
I know all curriculum for that matter meets everyones needs differently...ALOT of people use Saxon, and love it. For us though, I was starting to see the "cracks" in the program as it pertained to us.
For one, Saxon is HEAVY on review. While that is great on one hand, especially for a new concept that is hard to understand, but overall it's been a bit of overkill. We'll easily spend 10 lessons going over the same things with maybe one new concept thrown into the following day's worksheet.
The second thing I'm starting to notice about it is that it ALWAYS has the same format, the same style, the same sentence structure for the word problems and the boys are figuring it out and doing the problems almost by memory, without even having to pay that close of attention to the detail of the problem. It hasn't encouraged critical thinking. If I ask the same problem with a different twist to Ethan, he is completely out of sorts and has a hard time solving the problem. This is a big issue for me since I want the kids to not only know the answers to a problem, but the how's and why's of how you get there.
Thirdly, I find Saxon quite behind in regards to other curriculums. When we first thought of enrolling the boys into ICS they did Saxon 1 in Kindergarden and Saxon 2 in first grade. I was aghast thinking the boys would be so far behind since they had an "accelerated" math program. That is why I bought Saxon 1...thinking I would do it over the summer with Ethan to make sure he was on track for the fall. Once I got Saxon 1 home, I quickly realized that he had already covered 75% of the topics taught, but I wanted him to not only have a firm foundation in math, but also in the WAY SAXON TEACHES THINGS. So I decided to just go ahead and stick with Saxon 1. We did double, even triple days worth of work in any given day since it was fairly easy for him. About 2 months ago we were able to complete Saxon 1 and went straight into Saxon 2. Again, trying to not jump ahead too much since they do throw in one new concept each day we started at the beginning. Unfortunately, most of what we are doing on a daily basis right now is ALOT of review from Saxon 1 (assuming this would have occurred over the summer break, most kids would need a refresher). Sometimes I find myself just jumping ahead 20 lessons only to see that their IS one new concept that I need to teach him and need to figure out how far back it was taught, etc. It's quite head spinning.
Heart of Dakota recommends Singapore math. She actually writes daily hands on lessons for you to do to help cement the worksheet material you'll be doing for that day. It is really big on conceptual mental math, and understand the how's and why's of what you are doing with the numbers. So no matter what way you say the problem, you'll be able to figure out the road to take to get there. It IS an advanced math program, so most Americans who use it usually start a level behind where they currently are. I've ordered both levels of workbooks for the boys and am eager to get started. I was going to wait until the new school year to start, but then I thought...why wait...we still have two months left of school and no sense in finishing something my hearts not into!
So anyways, that's the switch we are tackling!!! I'm excited!
1 comment:
Yeah! I'm glad you decided what to do and feel peace about it. I'm thinking of switching to Singapore as well.
Post a Comment