Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Good Literature

Calling all mom's who read REALLY GOOD BOOKS to their kids!

Over the past year now, my boys have grown very found of listening to stories read aloud (or on tape) of rich content and can listen for a very long time. Eager for me to continue.

I have a definite love and passion for reading, especially now that we have moved beyond the picture books and short storyline books. These books we are now into reading peek my interest as much as it does theirs.

Once we finish up with Little Pilgrim's Progress, I plan to go into the 7 books of the Chronicles of Narnia Series. I just ordered a brand new set off ebay for dirt cheap! After that though, I'm wondering what other books are out there, along the same scope that anyone would recommend. Adventure definitely seems to peek my boy's interest the best!

I would appreciate any recommendations!!

3 comments:

Stef Layton said...

My 3rd grade teacher read the Narnia series to us for the entire year. I still love those characters as much as then!! The books are so great!! We're reading The Boxcar Children (although that's not as intense as Narnia - but many books to pick from - lots of adventures). Jake loves Wishbone on television - (dog recreates a classic story) some of the books are at the library.

Let me know what you get though - Jake is really showing an interest in adventure books now!

Rachél said...

You're talking my subject! We are on our third book in the Narnia Chronicles this year. James LOVES them. Other good ones: Boxcar Children Series, Mr. Popper's Penguins, Stuart Little, Charlotte's Web, My Father's Dragon, The Cricket in Times Square, The Wizard of Oz and there are dozens more wonderful books out there that are just begging to be read to your kids. Check out "The Read Aloud Handbook." You can get it at the Circle book store. It has a wonderful treasury in it of books to read to children and their age appropriateness.

Anonymous said...

You have such a wonderful network of friends with fantastic suggestions. I only wish this was more available for me when you and Heath were kids. You go girl. Mom