I've read in so many books that one of the by-products of homeschooling is self directed learning, initiated completely by the child. When does this occur and how can I help bring us to this goal?
Right now, the boys spend most of their time outside of our schooltime "playing" with trains, cars, blocks, bikes, etc...I don't necessarily see them building a 21st century robot, or conducting electro magnet science experiments (LOL). Don't get me wrong, most of this is said with tongue in cheek, but I'm curious if anyone out there in the blogosphere sets up their childrens "play environment" that would be more condusive to creating these types of future events.
Right now I have been an ogre when it comes to the computer. My kids probably eat more beets then they have minutes on the computer. Most of it's laziness on my part simply because I don't want to take the time to keep coming back when they accidentally close the browser, hit a wrong button, need me to explain the directions, etc... I didn't grow up on the computer, and I turned out just fine...I know computers are needed in this generation for sure, however, I also know that there is plenty of time for that. However, am I stiffling some creative outlet (other than video games...grrrrr) that could begin to cultivate the harvest of self directed learning by not allowing them computer time?
If so, can you point me to these types of websites...I'd like to know about them! And any other ideas you have, or use in your house, ESPECIALLY ones geared towards boys would be GREAT!
4 comments:
Oh, a subject always on my mind. Do you have an hour so we can sit and chat!!!-LOL. I'll email you so I don't write a novel on your comment page. I can share different ideas that we use in our home. I'll also share our computer experience etc. I wanted to ask you about your curriculum for next yr anyway:)I'll try to send you an email today!!
My boys don't spend a lot of time on the computer but consider the time they do get on it a big treat. (and they both amaze me at how well they can use it...even 4 year old dallas!) I love the pbskids.org. They play games related to things they are learning and then earn rewards to get things for there vitual treehouse. When you get to the webpage look for the link at he bottom of the page for PBS Kids Island. Even Dallas likes these. The other one that they LOVE is starfall.com Boston's teacher actually recommended it to me. Both these sites are completely free and all educational. We also have some learning games for the computer that test their skills in reading, math, etc. Can't think of the name right now but we got them at sams club. They don't have computer time everyday, but a few times a week I guess.
Regarding the computer, we found this great typing instruction program through www.timberdoodle.com
Every day the kids look forward to their computer time (they think its all fun and games, however, they are typing now at 5-10 WPM).
I'm just not that concerned with computer time and video games. I figure we'll get to it in time. James has used different sites and we've bought some educational software, but it's just not our emphasis right now. I'd much rather he was building with his LEGOS or dressing up as an explorer, cowboy, or knight. Or playing outside, or listening to Adventures in Odyssey, or questioning me about the Revolutionary War (it's his newest interest), or building a tent.... I could go on and on.
Post a Comment