Monday, February 16, 2009

Quality Time

Many years ago, probably in our first year of marriage, Preston and I read the book "The Five Love Languages". In this book the author describes five primary love languages (quality time, acts of services, gifts, words of affirmation and physical touch) that fill your love tank. It was very easy for me to pick out Preston's love language however I had a hard time really pinpointing the one that really spoke to me....they all seemed great, how could I pick just one???

But now I think I've discovered it. Quality Time. This makes such perfect sense now that I've really paid attention and zeroed in on what fills my love tank! Nothing makes me happier then when Preston, especially if he's cutting out of work or something like that that I KNOW is a sacrifice for him to do, spends quality time with me.

On Friday, we had a funeral to attend, and afterwards he suggested that he drive me to two locations that I needed to go to to pick up items for the Queen's Banquet. As I got back in the car after my first stop it hit me...my love tank was filling up. I thanked him so much for spending this little extra time with me...it truly was my love language.

Preston and I don't quarrel over too much, however, now that I look back on some of our quarrels, it really HAS revolved around my love language. It's not his love language (although he definitely likes quality time with me as well) and I'm wondering if I was putting more pressure on him to work less, etc. b/c I was wanting this part of me (my love tank) to be filled in this way??? Makes sense to me. He really doesn't work any more than a lot of other men I hear about, especially who own their own businesses, yet I seemed much more bothered by it then other women seem to be in my similar situation.

I'm thinking their love language isn't quality time. :)

1 comment:

really.truly said...

I think I'm one of the few people who have not read that book! I've heard so many good things about it.

I want to figure out mine, hubbies and our boys love language!

I'm glad you got your tank filled!