This morning the kids and I snuggled and decided that after we did our Meals on Wheels deliveries that we were going to grab some breakfast somewhere and huddle up in a back booth to eat and do our schoolwork....
What an incredibly relaxed and FUN experience this morning has been. We ended up deciding on Chic Fil A which was perfect for eager minds AND wiggly bodies.
We sat down and ate our breakfast as I got our various books and workbooks out. Ethan had grabbed the book "what Really Happened To The Dinosaurs" out of the car and really wanted to read that instead of his scheduled reader. No problem!!! This book is a much higher level book than he was currently reading and by golly if he wants to read this one then by all means...we spent a good 45 minutes listening to him read aloud to us, stopping each time scripture was referenced to look it up in our bible for further study.
The kids then wanted a 5 minute play break on the jungle gym. Then came back and did their phonics and Ashtons reading. Then 5 minutes playing. Then back for bibletime, mommy's read aloud and scripture memorization. Then back to the jungle gym.
We have almost completed school (didn't bring our math so we'll do that later at home) and the whole morning has been so peaceful, so much fun and really what homeschooling should be about.
At least for me, I am really valuing the opportunities I see in my kids when they pick something up and want to really learn about it deeper and run with it. Like Ethan's reading today....in a structured school environment he would have to read what was on the schedule that day in school...however because we can make up our own path he got the opportunity to spend more time on a book that was actually several grade levels above him and really intigued him. He did so awesome on his reading!!!
I can see us most definitely returning here and doing school again. It was a blast!!!!
And I'm sure some of the patrons around us could benefit from hearing the children's voices as we shared scripture and stories! ;)
2 comments:
Edie was right! You are a fun mom!
What a fun change of pace! And Chic Fil A---we don't have those here:( They are so good. It sounds like they offer a lot of fun things for kids, as well.
You ARE a fun mom and you sound like you are such a good teacher. I love hearing about your days...you don't want to know about ours today--lazy with a capital L!!--but we are sick.
Post a Comment