Monday, April 4, 2011

Home Sweet Home

My last post I mentioned that I had a quick cry on the day we closed on our old home. It was a quick cry because, in all honesty, we had a GREAT new home to look forward to.

How this home fell into our lap is totally a "God thing" and we are so grateful for this blessing. The home belongs to the father of a family friend. He is in a nursing home, with no plans to return. We got a call, out of the blue, to see if we had sold our home and if we were looking for somewhere to live. Preston and I went over to the house and were instantly excited about its possibility.

It is a quaint home, built in 1960, with 96 feet on the water. It has only had one owner, and the wife kept it in GREAT shape. The tiles, while 1960 inspired colors may not be our first choice, they look like they were installed yesterday. Seriously.

It's much smaller than our old home, so we've had a pair down quite a bit, put some things in storage, and really decide if we "need" the item or not. Simplify. However, by giving up size, we are gaining a view! This is our view each morning.... peaceful.
We thankfully had A LOT of help this weekend unpacking all our boxes and putting everything away. I'm quite sure I would still be drowning in moving boxes if it weren't for all the help we received from our families. I've still got some odds and end things left laying around that I must find a home for, but for the most part, it is starting to feel like home.

The boys have been chomping at the bit to go out fishing off our dock. Finally, Sunday night, we went outside in SPECTACULAR weather and tried our darndest to catch something. We were unsuccessful, but enjoyed ourselves nonetheless.


Watching the wildlife here is amazing too. We've seen possums run across the yard, ducks will waddle right up to you to get the bread out of your hand, and even a family of otters that will play hide and go seek in the water. The breeze off the lake is incredible too.
We are so excited about this new chapter in our lives. We've never lived on the water before, but are eagerly anticipating that we will fully enjoy it!

2 comments:

really.truly said...

It WAS a God thing...so very cool. What an awesome view to wake up to. I bet it feels like vacation everyday. Schooling by the water....science in your own backyard {without text books!}.

Our Family said...

What a view!!