So yesterday Ashton stepped on an ant bed and got about 14 ant bites on his little foot. This morning when the kids woke up they decided that they really wanted to learn more about ants. So we got out this book we've had for a while on all types of bugs. We learned that the males and queens have wings, while the worker ants never get wings. The male and queen mate while flying thru the air and once the queen has it's babies "in her tummy" she chews off her own wings and drops to the ground to "nest" and oversee all the worker ants she produces! Ashton also learned that it was probably the soldier ant that attacked his feet since they are the ones that protect the colony.
After that the boys wanted to go out and explore the various ant beds. We observed the ants making their tunnels and returning to the surface of the ant hill to drop off some dirt, only to return back again and again. We had read in the book that the ants will carry the dead ants out of the hill on it's backs in a "dumping ground"...sure enough, we actually watched two ants do this. The boys thought it was quite hilarious.
We studied the anatomy of the ant, how many legs it has, etc...
We came back inside and colored an ant picture. Ethan wrote about what he learned in his journal and Ashton did some tracing and coloring exercises.
Ethan then wanted to work on telling time. We did that and then read a couple of books. It was a fabulous, full of learning, morning.
My girlfriend Jenny called me and said "be sure you write all this stuff down, it counts for school!" Really? I was just having fun with the boys. But I guess this is what is so awesome about homeschool. School just becomes part of your life. From everything I've read, the problem with homeschool burnout or kids not liking it is when you try to hard to reproduce "school" at home. Instead, just live and learn like we did today! Cool!
5 comments:
wow, sounds like you are going to learn as much as the boys, Tiff :)
Welcome to Homeschooling! I love these natural learning environments! What fun - you're doing GREAT!!!
Very cool... Now get an ant colony tank and watch them did their tunnels... Kind of like a fish tank but not as expensive.
Love,
Dad
Now you've got me convinced about Unit Studies. I can't wait for you to start writing your curriculum.
How crazy...You have to read the blog I posted from my day yesterday. LOL Just like your day!!! I can't believe how similar. Thanks so much for you email...it was just what I needed to hear. Lets talk tomorrow to figure out when we are heading to see Mickey...maybe Saturday afternoon if you guys are up for it????
Post a Comment