Monday, July 30, 2012

Entrepreneur Camp and more....

My kids have never been fond of camp.  Several years ago I signed them up for a week long 1/2 day camp at the Science Center and that about did them in.  The loudness, lots of rude behavior from children, and the inability to be at home where they wanted to be was enough for them to poo poo all ideas for camp that I've mentioned to them.  I'm okay with that though.

However, a friend of mine, a fellow homeschooling mom, does this 12 week Entrepreneur course through Circle Christian School called Lemonade to Leadership.  It's basically a 12 week course designed for 4-8th graders to teach them the basics of business and by the end of the course the students will have put together a business plan and form a business to launch at their market place event.  This summer she decided to do an accelerated boot-camp using these principals in a week-long class.

Ethan is ALWAYS trying to come up with ideas of how he can make money, what he can sell, what service can he do, etc.  Unfortunately either his ideas require the backing and brains of NASA or the service would require parental help...he's just not old enough to do a lawn service, etc.

So I thought this would be a PERFECT camp for him.  Camp started today from 9-12.  There are 9 kids in the class...perfect size for him!

He came home with his "idea book" he got from class and started thinking of ideas for his business.  Of course while we were brainstorming, I was thinking of things such as golf towels, or printed t-shirts....while his thoughts included alternative gasoline or robots.  Oi vey! hee hee
 While Ethan was at camp, Ashton and I worked on his schoolwork.  Of course Ashton didn't quite have the same excitement as I had, but I quickly explained to him that school can happen anywhere.  Sure Ethan wasn't opening his math book, but he certainly was learning business skills, vocabulary, cause and effect, etc.  So while Ethan was learning, we were going to be learning too!

It was a great morning just the two of us.  We were able to BREEZE through his curriculum since it was just the two of us, no interruptions to contend with.

The morning ended with an art project making a wampum belt like the indians would create out of shells and beads.

We first had to die white rice purple using alcohol and food coloring.
 Then he created images on his belt that he would later cover in glue and put the purple rice over to stick to.
 We did the glue, applied the rice, and in the end it just ended up looking like a big glob of purple rice with no recognizable shape.
 So we scratched the first idea and went with a diamond pattern to fill in with the purple rice.  Everything else was then glued and white rice shaken atop.

No comments: