Monday, August 10, 2009

Trying to find balance...

One thing I know about me is that I thrive on projects. I thrive on goals. Give me a mountain and I'll tackle it...head on, no headgear needed either. The other thing I know about me is that if I'm not careful I can bite off more than I NEED to chew.

I've been more than delighted with the outpouring of support, and orders, that have come from re-launching Tiffanie Totes. The extra income is much welcomed and the creative outlet is inspiring. I've even held off on re-opening the Tiffanie Totes website simply because I've been steadily getting 1-2 orders every day just off facebook and friends of friends seeing the bags, etc.... If I get more than that it could quickly get overwhelming. I really do enjoy making these bags. I enjoy the shopping for materials, the calm that comes with the buzz of the sewing machine and the excitement when I sew on the final bow to see the bag come to completion. More importantly I get really thrilled when I see the reaction someone gives me when they receive the bag...THAT is cool.

Right now I'm just trying to get a "system" in place so that I don't jump the gun and rush to get a bag done as soon as an order comes in instead of giving them an expected wait time of 2 weeks, for example.

Beyond doing this I get a lot of joy out of giving to others, whether it be my time, my talents, or whatever...and I think this comes out when someone wants to pay me for something that honestly I would really do for free if this were an idyllic world. Since I can't do this for free then I usually want to get the bag done as soon as possible for that person.

I am working on a system where orders that come in automatically get a "finish by date." Then I will have a system for what supplies I'll need to get for the following weeks work and not get a head of myself.

I really do think this "work" is ideal for me since it allows me to be at home with my family, and for the most part I can do a lot of the planning, cutting, and hand sewing while I am sitting WITH my family and not a part from them. People seem to really enjoy the product and THAT makes me feel very pleased.

I just have to work out the initial kinks and get the system in place to make it run smooth, creating balance to ALL the facets of my life!

3 comments:

Dena said...

I hear you! I hate things hanging over my head or a long list staring at me. It's my first instinct to just get it done and in the mail so I can cross it off. But I've learned that people are fine with waiting and I just have to 'work' when it's the best time for me.

really.truly said...

I think you are so talented and such a dynamo at keeping it all organized. You know I think you are fabulous girlfriend ;)

Anonymous said...

I love my sweet,talented, driven daughter who brings alot of joy to alot of people..including me. Mom