Friday, July 17, 2009

Gracie Hage

Today we had to put our beloved Gracie girl kitty cat down to rest.  Over the past year or so she has had several urinary tract infections that don't ever seem to cure and has been peeing AND pooping all over the house.  We've already replaced a mattress that was disgusting with urine odor and have had the carpets professionally done several times, probably going to have to have some carpet replaced too...GROSS.

We called to see if there were any animal rescue shelters that would take her in to live out the remainder of her days, but unfortunately either they were already overpopulated with cats or would not take her due to her age.  They said that an older cat will basically just give up her will to live when they are put up in cages like that.  That's not exactly how I wanted her to live.  We also considered putting her outside, but she is de-clawed and thought that would be in-humane since she could not defend herself to other large feral cats or dogs.

Ultimately we made the sad decision to have her put down.  Preston had to take her in...it was VERY hard on him, since there was no way I could do this with the boys in tow.

Gracie was our first pet.  She came to live with us in our very first home together when we were first married!  She was actually from a rescue shelter herself.  She was really an awesome cat, especially back in the day.  She would fetch like a dog and wanted constant attention.  I don't think she was ever too happy about us introducing Sissy into our home, but she learned to tolerate her over the past year!

We'll miss you Gracie!

3 comments:

really.truly said...

Oh Tiff!! I'm sorry for your loss! I love her name...Gracie.

Anonymous said...

i'm sure it was a sad day for you all.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't know you went through this 2 months before we had to make the same awful decision for our 15 month old puppy last year. I just found your blog and am reading through it.

So sorry to hear about Gracie. I know it is tough.

Sue M
Apopka FL