I was just reflecting tonight on what a difference I've seen in my children since we have cut WAAYYYYY back on all things technological.
Yes, I'll admit, while we were building the house I allowed my children the priviledge of wayyy too much TV and way too much Ninendo DS time. I just didn't have the time to devote to them while I was busy "working". Sad, I know, but unfortunately for me, and MANY of Americans, I allowed the TV to make up for time mommy didn't have to spend with them.
And I started to notice that they seemed lost without some type of technology device to "entertain" them. We have a whole house full of toys, yet they would complain that there was nothing to do.
Knowing full well that I was planning on returning to the real mommy that I normally was while not in Contractor Mode, I forewarned my children that once we moved into the house, we were going into BOOTCAMP mode. Of course I got moans, groans, and some lip about it, but they knew there was no way around it. Mommy means business! :)
We have now fallen into a schedule of the only TV time allowed (usually a movie of their picking) for the entire day is right after quite time, everyday around 2:30pm. Once the movie is over, that's it, no more, no complaining, that's IT. They fill the rest of their day up playing with toys, playing outside, crafting, swimming in the pool, reading books, or having them read to them.
What a difference in my children.
I no longer hear whining and complaining about "when can I watch this show, when can I watch THAT show, but I OOOONNNLLYYY got to watch two shows, why can't I watch more." Or I haven't heard anymore of "I'm so bored, there is nothing to do!" They've gotten back to being kids, the kind that aren't dependent on technology to fill their days. It's wonderful to see their imaginations flourish and even more music to my ears when I hear them ask if I can read "just ONE more chapter in our chapter books....PLEASE!!!! Only to be finagled into one chapter after another (LOVE IT!)
Another beautiful side effect is that my children aren't arguing together...they really are enjoying each other's company. Sure, they aren't perfect, but I would most definitely describe our household as peaceful much more so than the opposite.
No comments:
Post a Comment