Friday, February 10, 2012

OUCHIE!!

As a mom of boys it's NEVER a dull moment! Got a call from the kid's school that Ashton injured himself while playing kickball and I needed to come to the school to go get it looked at. They thought he "may" need stitches! At first when they called I thought, "Oh, I'm sure it's just a little scrape...put a bandaid on it, he'll be fine!" But, I didn't say that and of course left home immediately to come get my little pumpkin.

I got the the office and Ashton was sitting with his leg bandaged and propped up on the desk. He was in fair spirits but immediately broke down when he saw his mama! :( Apparently he was running and the kickball got tangled up in his feet and he fell down, scraping his knee against the metal fence, and a very angry screw.

We went to the nearest CentraCare where they informed us that the cut was way too deep for them and he needed to go to the ER to have xrays and stitches. At this point I still hadn't looked at the wound myself.

So we loaded back up and went to Health Central since it was the closest ER to where we were.

When we got there I carried him, oh my word that was challenging, until someone saw me struggling up the walk way and ran to get us a wheel chair. We got in and the doctor agreed that x-rays were necessary. They wanted to make sure no ligaments, or bone, were damaged in the fall.

Thankfully both of those were fine. However, due to him falling in the VERY DIRTY playground area, the wound was VERY dirty, and required LOTS of cleaning out before they could even attempt to close it. That is when I say the wound. Oh my word. Was not expected that. The skin was literally fileted back. It actually looked like a bullet wound.

This was probably the hardest part of the whole ordeal, the cleaning and then the many shots with the needle they needed to insert into the open wound in order to numb it. Poor Ashton, he was miserable and holding onto me for dear life.


Due to the fact that they couldn't get the wound as clean as you would want it to be in order to close it up properly, they could only put in a few stitches so that it would be open enough for the wound to self clean itself. If they closed it up as normal, they were afraid an infection would form under the stitches...not so good.
We have to keep the area clean, apply topical antibiotics as well as oral antibiotics for 10 days. The hardest part of it all is the no activity for 2 weeks. No kickball, no soccer, no bike playing, etc...gonna be hard for my very active boy!

2 comments:

really.truly said...

Oh my word!!! I hope it's healing well!!

LA said...

How did it heal?