Last November Ashton had started talking about wanting to go to The First Academy. He's never been to traditional school (other than 2 day per week preschool) and as my social butterfly child he was itching for all the traditional things he felt he was "missing out" on. I was on the fence initially about it.
I told him to pray about it and that his dad and I would pray about it and we would decide. We continued talking about it and I decided to make the call to TFA to even see if we could get him in. Fast forward, the week before Christmas break I drove to the school to get an application for him. I thought I was going to throw up. I sat in my car not able to move.
I finally got up the courage to walk onto campus, only able to make it to the bench, to sit again and pray. "Lord, help us to make the right decision for Ashton. Each child is so different and I want to do what is right by you." After some deep breaths I went inside and got the application.
We filled it out and got an appointment scheduled for his testing a few days later. He was bouncing off the wall excited for the appointment date. The day arrived, we went up to the school and he was escorted back to take a math and reading test. He did awesome. Well above his grade level. The teacher also commented about how chatty and outgoing he was (yea, take THAT for all those "unsocialized" homeschooling questions! LOL)
He got accepted. He was joyous. I was happy for him, yet unsure about how I felt for us (ie. Ethan and I at home homeschooling without him)
We figured that he would either LOVE it, or it would be a good opportunity for him to see the true beauty that homeschooling really does provide our family. Time will tell...
First day of school came. I walked him in, Ethan in tow. He was acting a bit reserved, understandably with all his classmates gawking at the new kid in class :). Picked him up and he raved about it. Loved it. Loved the science, loved the artwork, loved P.E., loved meeting new friends.
Ethan and I are adjusting to our new normal here with just the two of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment