I had a terrific running partner that I trained with religiously in preparation for this event. We really paced our runs well, slowly increasing our mileage. I really thought I was going to make it to the start line without any injury. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. I did a number on my knees and by race day I KNEW I wasn't going to be able to run it with the zeal I had during training.
We spent the night at Disney's All Star Movies Resort. Luxury it is not. BUT it's one of the hotels on the bus route so that's the one we chose! We had to be at the bus by 4am. It was FREEZING too! We got shuttled over to Epcot and walked quite a ways to get to our corral. By 4:45 we were in place and had to wait over an hour and a half until 6:14am when our time was up to begin the race. BRRRR.... we kept saying who in their right mind volunteers, let alone PAYS to do this to themselves! LOL
But by 6:14 when the fireworks blasted we were raring to go! Unfortunately there were lots of slower people around us and the first mile was spent just weaving in and out of all the congestion. Finally got into a good pace and by mile 2 I could already "feel" my left knee starting to throb. Oi vey. 11 more miles to go.....
We stopped for a "quick" bathroom break, which ended up not being so quick with the long lines already forming. 10 minutes later I got back on the road and ran on. For the next 8 miles I had to alternate between running and walking whenever my knee got to be too much for me to bear. By mile 10 though I thought there is NO WAY I can run one step further. But 3/4th of the mile gone and I got my second wind. Ran my way into the finish line.
My family was there to cheer me on but unfortunately all I saw was my husband with his camera...my boys were up in the stands with my mom and I couldn't see them thru the crowd.
As you can see we got all "princessed up!" for the event. LOL
Here I am with my running partner, Amy, and a friend, John Helton, whom I made a "manly" tutu for!! too funny!!!
My cheering section!!
I'd like to say that this run lit a fire in me to conquer bigger and better and longer runs, but I think it actually did just the opposite! LOL While I'm super proud of myself for setting a goal, training for it, and going thru with it despite my knee issues...I'm just not thinking that long distance running is for me!
But....who knows. Maybe it's like childbirth, and once the "pain" memories wear off I'll be first in line to sign back up for more torture! :)
3 comments:
I love the tutu!! You are so cute Tiff. You are amazing...congrats on finishing the run. Sorry about the pain(and the cold!). Hope your knee is getting some rest.
Congrats on finishing it and I'm sorry it was so painful!
Congrats again on such a wonderful accomplishment. You looked beautiful - the tutu was fabulous!! I hope your knees are much better!! XOXOXO Missy
Post a Comment